Differences Between Tequila Blanco, Reposado and Añejo

Read Time: 5 min.

In order to best regulate the industry, the Tequila Regulatory Council has defined different classifications for agave-based drinks. The classifications are largely based on details taking place within the tequila development process, as well as sugar content. Below, we’ll break each classification down.

100% Agave Tequila

This tequila kind is pure, fermented only with sugars coming from the heart of the Blue Weber Agave plant species, with a Designation of Origin from the particular Mexican region where it’s grown and harvested. Anything labeled 100% agave tequila must also be bottled in a bottling plant controlled by the Authorized Producer, located within the authorized territory.


Spirits labeled simply “tequila” have typically been blended with sugars from plants other than the Blue Weber Agave, but must have no more than 49% of total sugars from sources other than this plant. The other 51% of sugars must be harvested from the Blue Weber. These products are usually bottled within the territory covered by the Declaration, but if conditions established by the NOM are met, they can be bottled outside this territory.

Between the two classifications above, there are additional classifications defined by characteristics acquired after the distillation process:

Blanco Tequila

The tequila product is un-aged, extracted from the fermentation process and bottled, without passing through a barrel.

Joven u Oro Tequila

This tequila goes through a regular dilution process and is the result of blending blanco with reposados, añejos or extra añejos. The process to soften tequila’s flavor is called “Abocado,” which involves additions of caramel color or natural oak extract, glycerin and sugar syrup under a certain and controlled percentage.

What Is Fine Tequila?

Connoisseurs in the spirits industry are well aware that not all beverage products are created equally. When it comes to development and production of a spirit, a host of factors go into making it a high – quality drink or not.

Reposado Tequila

Similar to Joven u Oro, it tends to go through the Abocado process too. It’s also aged for at least two months in oak barrels and adjusted through dilution with water. Maturation is when the tequila is transformed and acquires additional sensory characteristics as a result of physicochemical processes in the barrel.

Añejo Tequila

When a blend of reposados with añejos and extra añejos is made, it is called añejo. This tequila kind also goes through a process of water dilution and Abocado. It’s aged in barrels for at least one year in 600-liter containers.

Extra Añejo Tequila

Like Añejo, this tequila product also goes through a process of dilution and Abocado. The difference is that it’s matured for three years or more in 600-liter barrels.

Contact Aceves Spirits

Interested in creating your own tequila product and looking for expert guidance? Aceves Spirits has a portfolio of award-winning agave beverages, including tequilas, mezcals, and ready-to-drink canned cocktails. Reach out to us and tell us more about your project, and let’s see where we can help make your dream a reality!